Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I recently learned that many of my women contemporaries over

Customer Question

I recently learned that many of my women contemporaries over 65 are receiving their benefits and 1/2 of their husbands benefits each month. How can I find out if I am eligible for 1/2 of my husband's benefits? Thank you
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I am 76 years old and my husband is 79.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 30 days ago.

Hi. My name's Lane... I can help you here.

...

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Please bear with me for a moment, while I prepare your response.

Expert:  Lane replied 30 days ago.

First, it's important to understand that benefits can't be "stacked," as Social Security puts it.

...

They WILL, however, (when you are eligible for more than one benefit, such as your own benefit and a spousal benefit... or your own benefit and a widow's benefit) pay you a combination of benefits that takes you UP TO the higher benefit.

...

You can read more about that from Social Security here:https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10035.pdf (see the bottom of page 9)

Expert:  Lane replied 30 days ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY question at ALL, before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and v clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane