How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 433
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone from SS call and said all black lung payment would

Customer Question

Someone from SS call and said all black lung payment would not be paid to an old person who is in a rest home but had to go directly to the home. That's fine but I see that her regular SS payment is also slated to also go to the rest home??? MY mother-in-law has many bills including a $281 payment to American Republic for medical others. This was a set up by a SS office in Hamilton, Ohio almost 2 years ago. All her bills a paid directly out of her checking account except for $1,120 to the home. This money can't be spent twice. Why would her regular SS check need to go to the home?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No..unless he has a question.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

It could be that your mother in law is on Medicaid. That is the government is paying for her long-term care expenses including the nursing home costs. Therefore, she is only allowed for small amount such as, $30 or $60 personal allowances monthly for her personal expenses. The social security paid over to the long-term care facility is her co-pay, "share of cost", for the long-term care facility cost.

The enclosed link to the government website on long-term care program such as medicaid, is attached for your further reference.

Please feel free to follow up.



Fiona Chen, MPA, PH.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP