keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I have Medicare through Advantage, M.D., and was just

Customer Question

I have Medicare through Advantage, M.D., and was just informed I need Medigap too.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Is Medigap the same as Medicare Advantage plans? I really need a counselor to help me figure this out. You're right - it's so complicated, and I'm drowning in other paperwork besides!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I don't know. Could you give me an example? I'm retired, and my husband is only making about $30K a year. He is not working full time. He is 68, I am 65.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Who told you that you need a Medi-Gap policy in addition to your Medicare Advantage policy?

That should not be the case.

If you have a Medicare Advantage policy, you should not need another supplemental policy unless your Medicare Advantage plan does not cover prescriptions. In that case you would need a Medicare Part D policy. Most Medicare Advantage Plans include prescription coverage.

If you need additional assistance with the related paperwork, the best place to start would be at your local Senior Center. They will have the contact information for a free counseling service regarding these various policies. Also, you can go online at ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security Account". In the Medicare section, you can fill in your information, address, etc., and obtain the policy information available for your geographical area.

I see you asked for a second opinion. That's fine with me.

However, is there something specific I can address for you?

There are various types of Medicare Advantage Plans, so it is important to know what the provisions of your plan entail. You can't have a Medicare Advantage Plan & a so-called Medigap plan too. It simply isn't allowed.

As I said previously, if your Medicare Advantage Plan includes prescription drug coverage, then there is nothing else you need. If it doesn't then you would need to purchase a Medicare Plan D in addition to the Medicare Advantage Plan.

You will find that if you choose to go with a Medicare Advantage Plan to cover the additional 20% of your Part B coverage that Medicare doesn't cover, that your premiums and co-payments are lower but the coverage isn't as comprehensive.

If you go the route of a Medigap Policy & a Part D policy for prescriptions, you will find various options available within these plans, but generally you can purchase better coverage this way & of course the premiums are higher.

Again, I would be happy to answer any questions.

In any event, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Just checking in..................

I see that you received your second opinion and were told the same thing that I told you.

I hope that you are now reassured that if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, that you don't need, nor can you actually purchase a Medi-Gap plan.

So, the bot***** *****ne is that you must confirm that your Advantage plan covers prescriptions. If not, as I indicated, you will need a Medicare Part D plan to cover your prescriptions.

Please remember to rate my response.

Thanks very much,

I see you have read my response, but haven't provided a rating.

Is there a problem or are you having a problem with the rating system?

Sometimes that happens.

If so, you can rate me right here in words, hopefully excellent.

Thanks very much,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Steve. I'm just really tired. Will review again tomorrow. I believe your opinion is very good. I also think I need to consult a senior center or whatever. And I can't message at all, so it would be best if you call me.

Thanks very much for your comments.

However, the site does not permit us to make telephone calls without transferring to a "Premium Service". I really don't think that is necessary here.

Thanks for indicating your satisfaction with my response, ie. "I believe your opinion is very good."

If there's anything else I can do for you, including a phone call, please let me know.