LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband passed away oct. 7th can I expect his ss ceck

Customer Question

my husband passed away oct. 7th can I expect his ss ceck depositedinto my checking account
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I really expected the check deposited today. Do not know what it is that you want to know.
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I really do not thnk so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because social security retirement benefits are paid in arrears, your husband's benefit payment for September should have been deposited in his account in October. But because he did not live for the entire month of October, you will not be eligible to receive a payment in November. And if social security accidentally deposits one, you will have to return it to social security.

If your husband's monthly benefit was more than what you are receiving, then you will want to immediately apply for a social security survivor benefit. You are entitled to collect a benefit now equal to 100% of the amount that your husband was receiving when he passed. So be sure to contact social security and immediately apply for that survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug