TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I was married for 31 years to man who earned 150 Thousand

Customer Question

I was married for 31 years to man who earned 150 Thousand dollars to$200,000 a year. we Where divorced in 2008. I understand that I am eligible to use his income for my Social Security. Can you tell me how that works?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, SSA will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

The amount of benefits you get has no effect on the amount of benefits your ex-spouse or his or her current spouse may receive.

You can even apply online (if you meet the requirements)

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

If you rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) I am credited with responding. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need clarification