dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Why did my disability payment change to social security when

Customer Question

Why did my disability payment change to social security when I turned 65?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right retirement accountant for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: ok.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was diagnosed with a benign tumor at the base of my spine. It presses on the nerve endings and cannot be removed. I was awarded disability in 2010. That changed to a reduced social security benefit when I turned 65.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I am still disabled.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You cannot collect social security disability past your full retirement age, even if you are considered disabled for life. At full retirement age, SSDI automatically converts into regular social security benefits. But unless you applied for your regular benefits before your SSDI benefits, your benefits should not change. The lower benefits may be caused by the Medicare deduction.