LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If your on social security disability do you have to report

Customer Question

if your on social security disability do you have to report any settlements you get from say an insurance claim>
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Kathleen,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. When you say social security disability, are you referring to SSDI---the benefit that you pay taxes for, or do you mean SSI which is welfare based on disability and low income/assets?

Oug

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HI Doug, I do pay taxes on my monthly benefits, so I guess its SSDI.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the clarification.

Because an insurance claim is not active income---defined as income that you earn through work that you do in a job as an employee or self-employed individual----the settlement money that you receive will not negatively effect your social security disability (SSDI) benefits. You will be able to continue receiving your full SSDI benefit, regardless of the fact that you receive an insurance settlement. The same applies to inheritances, gifts of cash, interest income from investments and income received through rents of property that you may own. All of these kinds of income are deemed passive---income you did not work to generate.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug