Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can I keep my widows benefits and draw on mine when I reach

Customer Question

can I keep my widows benefits and draw on mine when I reach the age to draw
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm just looking ahead right now I get widows benefits and I was told I would loose them when I draw on mine
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

If your benefit amount on your own record is greater than your widow benefit, you will get that difference added to your monthly receipt. We don't get to "stack" them, to receive both full amounts - but we get the highest of the two and it can be paid part from the one, the rest from the other.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!