Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My spouse passed away on 9-5-16. I am 61 years of age and

Customer Question

my spouse passed away on 9-5-16. I am 61 years of age and still employed. Am I eligible to receive her benefits at this time and still be employed?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I need to know if there is an earning limitation for the widower and still be eligible for benefits from my deceased wife's earnings
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of. I plan to stay employed for several more years if my health permits
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help here.

...

Yes, You are eligible for a survivor benefit at age 60.

...

You can get Social Security retirement or survivors benefits and work at the same time. But, if you’re younger than full retirement age, and earn more than certain amounts, your benefits will be reduced.

...

For 2016 that amount is a reduction of $1 for every $2 you earn over $15,720.

...

The amount that your benefits are reduced, however, isn’t truly lost. Your benefit will be increased at your full retirement age to account for benefits withheld due to earlier earnings.

...

This would allow you to take the full survivor amount, starting at age 66, and still receive those delayed retirement credits (8% per year for each year between 66 and 70) on your own benefit.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

You can read more about this from Social Security, here:https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.