Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

How do I report the death of my spouse? Ellen Stevick,

Customer Question

How do I report the death of my spouse?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Mary Ellen Stevick,###-##-#### died on 13 October 2016
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no , not that I know of ... she was not receiving social security benifits
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I can help you here ... My name's Lane.

...

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.

...

You have several ways to do this. But, so sorry, online is not n option for reporting a death.

...

First, the funeral home can do this for you, if you'll give them the deceased person's Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

...

But you can also , call 1-***-***-****. You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

...

And finally, you can go into a local Social Security office, but many times it's bet to call the main number to make appointment anyway, as you can end up waiting all day only to leave with an appointment for another day, in most offices today, since the government cutbacks.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.