Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My I have someone living in my house that is on SS

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My I have someone living in my house that is on SS Disability and I pay for half or more of his living expenses. Am I able to take him off as a dependent?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: He has been living in my house for 2 years and his SS check is for $1, 500.00 a month. Can I take him off 2016 taxes?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no...thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

...

That depends on whether you are providing more than 12 of the total support, (that's typically the hardest part of the qualifying dependent test), along with a few other requirements.

...

Hang on and I'll pull up the regs for you

...

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

For a parent or other relative, there are different additional requirements:

• The person cannot have a gross yearly income over $4,050. (Social Security is not counted for this purpose.)
  • The person can’t be a qualifying child dependent of you or another person. That means you can’t claim the person if someone else could.
  • The person must be either related to you or must have lived with you all year as a member of your household.
  • You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year. (The Social Security DOES count for this purposes)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Here's the IRS guidance on this:

...

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/table_2_dependency_exemption_relative_4012.pdf

...

And here's a good overview from intuit (note the section at the bottom that says "Here are the rules for claiming a relative who is not a Qualifying Child or a non-relative as a dependent."

...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2949049-can-i-claim-a-dependent-who-receives-ssdi-income

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane