keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

My husband, who had been receiving Social Security Payments,

Customer Question

My husband, who had been receiving Social Security Payments, died in May, 2014. I have recently been informed by a friend that she actually receives half of her ex-husbands Social Security Benefits even though she was divorced from him about 30 years ago and he had remarried.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: My question is "My husband and I were married 58 years and he died in May 2014. Can I qualify for part of his Social Security Benefits. Thank you for your help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

If you were both retired and receiving Social Security benefits when your husband died, as his widow, you would be entitled to receive the larger of his full retirement benefit or your retirement benefits based upon your own earnings record. However, you are not entitled to receive both his and your retirement benefits, only the larger of the two. If you do not know what the composition of your retirement benefits are currently, the best way to determine if there is any possibility of increasing your current benefit is to make an appointment with your local Social Security Office and ask for an explanation of how your current benefits are calculated. I advise you to make an appointment as if you just walk in to the office without an appointment you may experience an extended waiting period in a less than luxurious waiting room. In order to locate the contact information for your local Social Security office, you can click on the following link and enter your Zipcode where indicated:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3881/How-do-I-schedule-reschedule-or-cancel-an-appointment

& then click on "Contacting your local Social Security office."

OR

You can also call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** and they will direct you to the appropriate scheduler for your local office.

Please remember to rate my response for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

I see that you have had a chance to see my response.

Do you have any follow-up questions?

If not, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way that I will receive my share of the payment you already made to the site. There is no charge for providing a rating for me.

Thanks very much,