Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am a grieving widow and my husband died sept.22..he was

Customer Question

i am a grieving widow and my husband died sept.22..he was receiving ssd.He was also the main bread winner because i only have a temp job.His ssd came in oct.I needed it to pay the bills and i thought the funeral home was supposed to contact ss..what is going to happen to me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Please accept my sincere sympathy on the death of your husband.

Most funeral homes do notify SSA as part of their services. Unfortunately, because SSA was not notified, the SSD payment you received in October must be returned to SSA. That is because the payment received in October covered September, the month your husband passed away.

You can call SSA at 1-***-***-****, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm to report the death and ask about repayment arrangements.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb