dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I was wondering who initiated taxing social security. I

Customer Question

I was wondering who initiated taxing social security. I thought it was Bill Clinton with Al Gore casting the deciding vote.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am a widow collecting on my own social security. My first husband passed away as well as my second husband. I'm just wondering if I can collect on either of my husbands social security. It is very hard trying to live on mine alone.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 1 month ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi

Yes, you would be able to collect a portion of your 2nd husband's SS benefits. You would only have been able to draw of of your fist husband's benefits if you had been married more than 10 years, AND you had not remarried. Please see below:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou2.html

Please go to your local SSA office and talk to one of their agents. Life is hard enough without having to struggle every month to pay our bills.........and yet so many are in that boat. I truly want you to get all the benefits you are entitled to, in the hope of easing your financial monthly debt as much as possible.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.