dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am working full time and over 66 (68 actually), should my

Customer Question

greetings, i am working full time and over 66 (68 actually), should my employer still be taking SS out of my paycheck?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: did you get my question ?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: not sure if there is much more to tell..... I am working full time and i just read this morning that my employer should NOT be withholding/taking out any Social Security from my paycheck. Should they ? thank you,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: btw, as mentioned previously, i am now 68 years old.... the article stated that they should stop deducting SS when i turn 66.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

I am not sure where you read it but as long as you work for an employer that is covered under Social security and Medicare, the employer must withhold social security and medicare tax from your paycheck. If you apply for benefits before your full retirement age and continue working, your benefits are reduced by your earnings. But once you reach your full retirement age, you can have unlimited earnings and your benefits will not be affected. But as long as you have earnings, your employer has to take out social security and Medicare tax from your paycheck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This appeared on my MSN homepage this morning...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
once you turn age 66 (or if you are over 66!) Social Security payments are no longer withheld if you work and receive benefits at the same time and your payments will be increased to give you credit for any part of your benefit that was withheld in the past.THIS WAS THE ACTUAL STATEMENT ON MSN
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see. The article is talking about social security benefits, not the payroll deduction, two different things. If you apply for social security benefits before your full retirement age, your BENEFITS are reduced if you make over certain threshold. Once you reach full retirement age you can have unlimited earnings and keep your full benefits. If you had your benefits reduced because of your earnings (before 66), you will get slight increase in benefits (a credit for the reduced benefits between 62 and 66).

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Does it make sense? What's the title of the article or link?