emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Can I change my benefit? I started taking my own SS payment

Customer Question

can I change my benefit? I started taking my own SS payment in Apr 16 and I want to change to a spousal benefit . am I able to do this?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Male age 66, female age 65-both receiving individual ss benefits.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Male, age 66 would like to change to a spousal benefit
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you spousal benefits (about 45% of your husband's benefits) are higher than your own, than yes, you can switch to spousal benefits. You can apply online or by calling social security directly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What if they are less? I would like to take the reduction and allow my own benefit to contine to compound?

Your full retirement age is 66. You cannot apply for restricted application (take lower spousal benefits and let your own grow) until you are 66.

Because you were 62 at the end of 2015, you are still eligible to file for restricted application. But it is only available once you reach your full retirement age.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?