Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I want to know how it takes to receive the rest of your

Customer Question

i want to know how long it takes to receive the rest of your backpay when the lawyer does a fee petition
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i received my backpay in july. They withheld 25% for my attorney fees. This was well over the $6000 cap. The office appealed it and said it wouldn't take long for me to get the rest of my backpay minus the $6000. It has now been 4 months and it is still pending in the payment center. how long does this usually take. I was told my attorney appealed as well
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry that you still have not received the rest of your backpay. Unfortunately, when a fee petition is pending, Social Security Administration cannot release the rest ofyour backpay to you until the agency has ruled on the Attorney's fee petition and then can determine the remainder of the backpay that you would finally receive. So, the release of your backpay would depend on when the Attorney's fee petition is resolved. Generally, it takes about six months for fee petition to be decided on. So, you may have to wait another month or two before you receive any notice from Social Security Administration regarding your backpay.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.