Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am a recent widow with 6 children 18 and under. The family

Customer Question

I am a recent widow with 6 children 18 and under. The family maximum is impacting us. The oldest of my children are triplet 18 year olds two with permanent disabilites that were recently accepted by social security to make them adult dissabled children. Is there any way this could help us get more money as a household? Like when they do not include an ex-wife in the family maximum but still give her surviviors benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I have not worked in 12 years because I care for the disabled boys.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, no. However, you can apply for another disability program called Supplemental Security Income ("SSI"). This is a joint program of the state government and the federal government that provides additional help for the disabled or elderly with limited income and resources. So, if your application is approved, you would receive two separate payments from federal and state. You can apply for the program on the phone or by going to the local office of the Social Security Administration. Click here for more information on the program and the application process.