keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I was denied coverage for the medical part of medicare due

Customer Question

i was denied coverage for the medical part of medicare due to nopayment . i sent them a letter for reinstatement and explained that my husband was very ill and i just forgot to send it in . i sent a check with the full amount for reinstatement but have never heard from them. what do i do?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: i tried to get them to take it out of my account every month so i would be sure to have it payed but was not helpful in doing so. now i dont have medical part so if i go to dr. or have anything done i have to pay for it .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what should i do if i need to see dr as medicare will not cover this . i have to pay out of pocket and it can be very expensive. i think this is very unfair. i tried to do what was right.
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you please do as I am waiting for the coverage to go to dr.

How long ago did you send the reinstatement request?

Have checked with your bank to see if the check that you sent has cleared?

If so, you should be all set.

Actually, the quickest way to confirm that everything is now back in order, is to call your doctor's office and see if they can enter your Social Security Number/Medicare Plan and confirm coverage.

Do you have a Supplemental "Medi-Gap" Plan or a Medicare Advantage Plan? If so, have you confirmed your status with respect to either of those coverages with the Insurance Companies? If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, even your Pharmacy can quickly determine if the coverage has been reinstated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent it in in August and no the check has not cleared and I have a supplement. Which is up to date. Medicare has not given an answer at all
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have prescription coverage through script care. Medicare covers hospital but not doctor. And my medicare supplement I pay for.

I'm not surprised; it often takes 2-3 months to hear from them.

However, once reinstated the coverage should be retro-active to the date of suspension as that would be the period covered by your check when your submitted your reinstatement request. If you have to make any payments yourself while waiting for the confirmation, once you receive it, you will be able to be reimbursed for any covered costs you have to pay in the meantime.

Yes I understand about the script, but if you had a Medicare Advantage Plan, that covers all the supplemental plus the prescription coverage.

Medicare Part A, covers the Hospital, Part B covers the doctors, the supplemental coverages cover the additional portion Medicare doesn't cover, & Part D covers the Pharmacy; or Part C is the Medicare Advantage Coverage.

So, at this point the bot***** *****ne is that you must either wait them out or call Social Security to check on the status of the reinstatement. Unfortunately, that usually means an extended "hold time" on the phone, or you can also visit your local Social Security office in person and ask for an update.

The best phone number to use is: 1-***-***-****

If they can't answer your question, they will either transfer you to someone who can or give you another phone number to call to check on the status of your reinstatement. (That depends upon where you live).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank I will call again

That's probably the best alternative to check up on them at this point.

You should ask what confirmation they will provide you with and when you can expect it when you get them on the phone. Don't get discouraged as you may have quite a wait on hold. When I have to reach them I put them on speaker phone and go about my business until they pick up.

Your tax dollars at work :]

10/24/2016 UPDATE

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

If you are having a problem with the rating system, you can just indicate your rating in words, right here & I will contact Customer Service so that I may close out the question. There is no additional charge to provide a rating for me but it is important for me also.

Thanks very much,