Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My lifelong friend has reached Full Benefit age for SS, but

Customer Question

My lifelong friend has reached Full Benefit age for SS, but is afraid to file for benefits, because he has not filed Income Tax returns for the last 20+ years. Employers have taken out the the standard amount of taxes, but he is still afraid to file for benefits. He is still working - single
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your friend's non-filing of tax returns would not affect his eligibility of benefits if he has worked not enough to be eligible for benefits. So, he should go ahead and apply for benefits. He would receive a notice from SSA whether his application has been approved or not. Click here for the application process.