Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Will I lose my widows ss if I remarry? I am 60 and I want to

Customer Question

Will I lose my widows ss if I remarry?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am 60 and I want to remarry but will I lose my widows ss benefit?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I just want to remarry
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

SSA does not penalize you if you remarry at age 60 or later and you do not lose your survivor benefit if you remarry at that time. So if you are 60 and you have a SS survivor benefit, you will not lose it if you remarry. So no, you will not lose your benefit.

See SSA link for confirmation: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/workingpapers/wp89.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?