emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am 63 and no longer working. My husband is turning 64 and

Customer Question

I am 63 and no longer working. My husband is turning 64 and continuing to work. My benefit will be much less than his. Should I take it now then apply for spousal benefits after he retires at 66 or later? Would I get some additional benefit as a result of his higher earnings despite taking benefits early?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: He has higher earnings and will retire later. He is also a year older than I am. Would I be better off taking my benefits now or waiting until after he does?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you apply for any type of social security benefits before your full retirement age you will permanently reduce your own but also spousal benefits. Which means you will not get 50% of his benefits when he retires.

I would suggest if you do not necessary need the benefits, wait until full retirement age. You will be eligible for spousal (50% of his benefits at full retirement age) and if he dies before your, widows benefits (100% of his benefits). If you apply at 63, you reduce all of the benefits available to you now or in the future.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to apply for benefits when my husband is eligible even if I am not 66 yet?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nevermind
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

No you don't. But you can apply for Medicare at 65.