How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7067
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother, now 87, took my father's social security benefits

Customer Question

My mother, now 87, took my father's social security benefits when he passed in 1987. She was 59 when he passed. What do I need to and how do I verify that she was/is getting the most she should receive? My father was a retired airline pilot of 32 years and I know he was making close to $100k a year in 72 when he took early retirement because of a medical issue that prevented him from working. I don't know if he received SSDI or just SS. Mom lost almost everything is a stock scam and I am trying to conjure up more income for her.
Thank you for you time and consideration,
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cancel my question I donot want to join and you have no information on how to get out. May be that should be my question
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 7 months ago.


I see your note about not wishing to subscribe to our service. I will send a not to Customer Service to that effect.

However, since I am already here, I'll just go ahead and answer your question, which is a good one.

First of all, I should tell you that the best way to get a complete and reliable answer is to make an appointment with your mother's local Social Security Office for you and your mother to go in to the office in person. If you don't have an appointment, then the wait can be somewhat lengthy and cumbersome and not that comfortable in most of the local offices. If you mother is not able to accompany you, you will need her Power of Attorney in order to obtain her & your Dad's personal social security records.

As your Dad's widow, she would have been eligible to receive Widow's benefits at age 60, unless she had dependent children under age 18 at the time, which seems could have been the case given your mother's age.

In any event, that is the only way to obtain the information, unless you and your mother want to try calling, but that can be an arduous and time consuming process and not always productive in terms of receiving accurate information.

To reach your local Social Security Office for an appointment, go to:

OR, call

Toll-Free: 1-***-***-****

Finally, there is an online option, but with your mother's situation it may be difficult to obtain the specific information that you seek, as I mentioned above. You or your mother would need to set up a personal account for her at You can go here to see the extent of services provided online:

Hope this helps in some small way & I'll make sure Customer Service know that you do not wish to subscribe to our services. If I have been helpful today, I'd appreciate it if you would provide a rating in order that I may receive credit for assisting you this morning.

Steve G.