Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am retired on my social security I was never told that I

Customer Question

I am retired on my social security I was never told that I can go out on my ex husbands social. Which would have been beneficial to me since I'm still working. He was married a year ago to another person and now he has died. I plan on changing to his social if it is beneficial to me and I also heard I should get the death benefits from the family fund also(by the way he has had a baby with her-the child is 2 yrs old). If I dfon't go onto his social do I still get the family death benefit monthly. Sorry alot of questions for you.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help you here

...

Yes, as long as you were married for more than 10 years AND you did not remarry before age 60, you are entitled to a survivor benefit on your ex's record.

...

It's important to remember, however, that benefits can't be "stacked," as Social Security calls it.

...

They will ALWAYS take you up TO the higher benefit (by paying a combination of your benefit and the additional amount that would come from the higher benefit) but SSA doesn't add an additional benefit on TOP of yours.

...

You should certainly apply for the survivors benefit - which is from 71.5 to 100% of his full benefit depending on YOUR age (70.5% of his at your age 60, up to 100% of his at your age 66)

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, a Master’s Degree, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986