emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

If I am collecting social security and have gone over my

Customer Question

If I am collecting social security and have gone over my maximum income as of Oct. 2016, and continue to work. Will I still get social security in 2017 to start the allowed income I will be 66 in 05/29 ?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I plan to drop to Part time but misunderstood gross income or net income maximum
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you will but you need to notify social security as soon as possible to make necessary adjustment now so you do not have to deal with overpayment later. Your next year maximum will be much higher and after May you can have unlimited income and your benefits will not be affected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please call me I would like to talk to you regarding this matter

I am on the east coast and it is after 11pm here but if you like I can call you tomorrow. I leave the request opened in case another expert will be willing to make the phone call tonight.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
social security office is difficult to get hold of in person if I do not notify them will they just deduct for Nov and Dec 2016 and then start fresh in maximum and what is it until May2017?

Yes, if they know about it. If you don't notify them now they will pay you your regular benefits know and when the employer submit his earnings report next year you will get an overpayment notice. You will have to pay back the difference or your benefits will be reduced until the overpayment is returned.

In the year you reach your full retirement age you can earn $41900 before your benefits will be reduced.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?