dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am 74 and my husband is 76. We have been married since

Customer Question

I am 74 and my husband is 76. We have been married since ********* 1967. Am I entitled to the same amount of social security benefits each month as he is? Please contact me at: ******************************, or by phone :************. My name is Linda ********* and my husband is John ***********. Thank you, Linda ********
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi Linda. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Each of you is entitled to your own benefits on your own records. Each of you is also entitled to spousal benefits, benefits based on your spousal records, that could be up to 50% of your spouse's benefits. But only one of you can collect spousal benefits (if higher than your own) and you can only collect one type of benefits: your own or spousal.

Does it make sense? Do you have any questions? Your benefits are calculated for each of you individually, not for you as a couple.