Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Social security stopped my payments, abd say i owe them

Customer Question

Social security stopped my payments, abd say i owe them $24k, because i worked to much for one month 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you are disputing this overpayment, you need to file Request for Reconsideration. If you request is denied, you need to file an appeal to the Administrative Law Judge. Click here and here to download the forms.

Goodluck with your case,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am very confused as to what to do, I called Social Security this morning, and they told me that they sent out letters, that i never received, she stated that i should go to the local office and ask them if i should appeal or file an exr, since i never received an letters in the mail, in 2014 they claimed i made to much money working for 1 month, and now they want me to pay back the last 2 years of my disability payments, and i do not have anything to pay tem, since i am no longer working. I have chronic kidney disease, diabetes, and other health problems, i need to see my Doctors, and get my meds. I don't know how i am going to pay my bills this coming month. If i appeal, or whatever, will they reinstate my disability payments until they make a decision?

I understand your concerns.

Yes, you should certainly go to your local office to resolve the issues.

If you file an appeal and win, your benefits would be reinstated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My benefits will not be reinstated right away until they make a final decision? don't know how i am going to pay my bills next month.

First thing first, you need to go to your local office and speak with a Claims Specialist. That is the only way that you can resolve the issue. You would also be told at that time how soon your benefits would be reinstated based on your circumstances.