Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I started receiving Social Security when I was 60 due to the

Customer Question

I started receiving Social Security when I was 60 due to the death of my husband. I have two questions: 1. Ihave to go back to work because my benefit is not enough, how much money can I earn within a year before my Social Security if affected? 2. Can I receive social security based on my income vs my husbands, I worked longer and may have earned more.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using How old are you?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am 66 years old.

Since you are now at full retirement age (age 66) you can now earn an unlimited amount of income without penalty. Before full retirement age you could only earn up to $15.720 without penalty. Unfortunately you cannot receive both your own retirement benefit in addition to your survivor benefit based on your spouse's social security. You can only receive the higher of the two benefits. Understand that even if your benefit is higher you can continue to take your husband's survivor benefit until age 70 and earn an 8% increase per your for a total of 32% increase at age 70. Your situation is basically the best planning mechanism related to social security and if you can at all help it, you should continue taking his benefit until age 70 if possible to maximize your own benefit (especially if the amounts are reasonably comparable).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.