Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am 74years old and draw 1799.00 mo s/s started drawing at

Customer Question

i am 74years old and draw 1799.00 mo s/s started drawing at 65 my wife is 73 starting drawing at 62 she only draws 690.00 mo is their anyway she can draw half of mine.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what do you need to know.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and i will draft you an answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Normally the spouse can draw a 50% spousal benefit and receive the higher of their own retirement benefit and that spousal benefit. Unfortunately for your wife, since she took early retirement at age 62, the spousal benefit is reduced by early retirement from 50% to 32.5%. When one elects to take their own retirement benefit, they are deemed to elect to take both benefits. Since the benefit is reduced by early retirement, she would only receive around $585 for the spousal benefit from you and it would be lower than what she currently is receiving so she would still receive her own retirement amount.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

A phone call is an extra charge by the site and I think my written answer shoudl cover it. you can propose a phone call offer if you are still interested.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?