Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

How do i learn more about spousal benefits, when both are

Customer Question

how do i learn more about spousal benefits, when both are retired?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what "more" info do you need?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Like what? i have been retired for 4 years, signed on for SS when I was 70. I am now 74. My wife signed on when she was 65, and she is now 75.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Let me draft you an answer, give me just a bit.

At your age, if the spousal benefits increased either of your benefits, SSA would have automatically switched you over. The spousal benefit is not a benefit in addition to your own SS retirement, it is only the higher of the two benefits (between the spousal and your normal retirement). It is 50% of your spouse's benefit at full retirement age (which is age 66 for you and was age 65 for her). Also, this would not include any 8% credits you received from ages 66-70. It is simply 50% of the other spouse's benefit at full retirement age (or it could be reduced if a spouse has retired early by the early retirement penalty as well which does not seem to apply to you). So to answer your question, unless there has been an error made, SSA would already be giving you the higher of you or your spouse's normal retirement benefit and the 50% spousal benefit. Again, you do not get both benefits, only the higher of the two benefits, so if the spousal benefit is higher then SSA will give that benefit instead of your normal retirement benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.