Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I received this letter again this year about my deceased

Customer Question

I received this letter again this year about my deceased husbands SS being reduced because I am still working at the age of 73. I work to increase my benefits so I might be able to make ends in future years not because I want to. Since I am working the S S keeps reducing my husbands and increased my benefits. The amount I get never changes. My husband worked his whole life and gave into S.S. This should never be decreased. My working should increase the benefits. This is heartbreaking that I am working and giving to S.S. never to see my benefits go up. I do not think this is fair. Please respond.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No there is nothing else important. I don't know if should quit work or what to do. Who is this retirement expert that could help me. Why would they reduce benefits from my husband when he already paid in his whole life? I know someone who was divorced from her husband 40 years, remarried twice and now her first husband died and she gets his benefits. This is just not fair.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. I understand your frustrations.

Unfortunately, this is the correct law. Social Security Act limits the amount one can receive in benefits. You cannot receive the entire benefits that you are entitled to on your husband's earnings and at the same time receive the entire benefits amount that you are entitled to under your own earnings. If you are both eligible for survivor benefits and your own retirement benefits, Social Security Administration would pay you the combination of the benefits that would total the maximum benefits that you are entitled to receive under the law. So, if your survivor benefits amount is continuing to decrease because of your work, it would be prudent for you to stop working because working at this point has not resulted in increased benefits for you, but has instead worked against you.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.