Good afternoon Monica,
I apologize for the delay. By the time you had provided your response (3 days later) I had left my office for a trip out of state.
It is quite possible that he will qualify for Aid and Attendance payments through the VA. Let me explain.
Any War-Time Veteran with 90 days of active duty, and at least 1 day beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension.
Under this program, the VA will pay the benefit for any Vet if they otherwise qualify. To qualify medically, a War-Time Veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, and they may not have assets exceeding $80,000 not including their home and an automobile.
Here is a link which explains how to apply:
Your father will be eligible for $1,788.00 per month when he qualifies, and he may continue to live with you and receive this benefit. Here is another site which will provide you with additional information about this benefit:
2016 benefit table:
Surviving Spouse $1,149
Single Veteran $1,788
Married Veteran $2,120
Two Vets Married $2,837
Dates of war per the VA for aid and attendance purposes:
- Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
- World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
- World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
- Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
- Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
- Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.
I wish you and yours the best in 2016,