LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Is there any benefits to help a family member receive some

Customer Question

is there any benefits to help a family member receive some aid for home health services? My husband has Parkinson and beginning dementia.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Monica
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Just asking for aid for home health services.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 days ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did your husband ever serve in the US military?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
for two years
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 days ago.

Good afternoon Monica,

I apologize for the delay. By the time you had provided your response (3 days later) I had left my office for a trip out of state.

It is quite possible that he will qualify for Aid and Attendance payments through the VA. Let me explain.

Any War-Time Veteran with 90 days of active duty, and at least 1 day beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension.

Under this program, the VA will pay the benefit for any Vet if they otherwise qualify. To qualify medically, a War-Time Veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, and they may not have assets exceeding $80,000 not including their home and an automobile.

Here is a link which explains how to apply:

Your father will be eligible for $1,788.00 per month when he qualifies, and he may continue to live with you and receive this benefit. Here is another site which will provide you with additional information about this benefit:

2016 benefit table:

Surviving Spouse $1,149

Single Veteran $1,788

Married Veteran $2,120

Two Vets Married $2,837

Dates of war per the VA for aid and attendance purposes:

• Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
  • World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
  • World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
  • Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
  • Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
  • Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,