How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 11147
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to marry a canadian citizen 56 yo. She is

Customer Question

I am going to marry a canadian citizen 56 yo. She is currently retired from the canadian Government and is receiving a pension from the Canadian Government of approx. 70,000 canadian dollars. I am 70 yo retired and collecting SS of approximately $25,000 a year. when we marry and I pre decease her will she be entitled to my SS benefits and if so how much?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.



My name's Lane. I'm so sorry to be the messenger here but likely a provision in Social Security Law called The Government Pension Offset (GPO) will come to play.


Social Security will reduce any (1) Spousal or (2) Survivor benefit by two-thirds of the non-social security pension. In other words, if you get a monthly foreign government pension of $600, two-thirds of that, or $400, must be deducted from your Social Security survivor or spousal benefit.


So if the non-social security pension os large enough, many times the GPO will completely eliminate the SSA benefit.


I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!


I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, for clients on three continents, since 1986