Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

My benefits changed this month because the Social Security

Customer Question

My benefits changed this month because the Social Security Administration claims I am getting a government pension I am not receiving. I have been collecting on my husband's social security at $944./ month. They have reduced it to $161.30. My husband and I have been having to deal with claims that he died 3 years ago, so therefore I owe them $17,000 dollars. Then they sent him a check for $27,000 dollars for back payments he did not receive because they thought he was dead. He sent that check back once he established he was alive. They had sent me a letter claiming I was receiving a $10,ooo government pension. I amongst our dealing with the SS office in Cleburne ,Texas that letter was taken by one of their representatives. The number for that office no longer takes calls. You must have an extension number or a name which you can't get because they do not accept calls otherwise. One of the letters I received lately that was sent on October 5, 2016 concerned the pension but had someone elses SS # **************. My # is ****************. I received another letter sent the same day as the one with the wrong SS3 stating they had changed my benefit amount to $363.00 because I was also entitled on another record was the explanation. Then another letter dated Oct. 6, 2016 stated that because I was receiving a pension, my benefits changed to $161.30. I am not receiving a pension and my husband is still alive. They have no reason to change my benefits and have given us nothing but trouble for the past 3 months.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: ****************************
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today :-)

Expert:  Megan C replied 11 days ago.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this mess. If you are not receiving a pension from work where you did not pay into social security (either on your own or your late husband's behalf) then once you provide that information to the IRS you should be all set.

If they are not dealing well with you, contact your local senator or congressman's office -- they have FREE constituent services staffed with people that help the constituents in that area with Federal agencies such as social security.

Please let me know if you need additional information. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The point is my husband is not dead and there was no reason for anything to be changed. We had to make many visits to SS to prove that point. They have his resolved, but not mine.