dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am on si retirement and I turn 66 next july but I right

Customer Question

I am on si retirement and I turn 66 next july but I right now look to exceed my cap for this year by a $1000 but is there any hardship as in a separation from my wife can I get that excused and not hurt my future benefits
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: not at all, I have never exceeded my cap in the last 3 years but I would have to take time off with no pay not to this time
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 16 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

No, there's no hardship excuse, since you are not loosing your benefits. Your benefits will be reduced until you reach full retirement age next July. Starting January 2017 your cap will be much higher and you get your full benefits. Just let the social security know so they adjust your benefits accordingly and you do not have to deal with over payment.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 16 days ago.

On the other hand, your benefits are reduce $1 for each $2 you earn. You are still better off earning more than less, despite the reduction. And as I already mentioned, the benefits are not lost, just deferred until 66.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 15 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?