Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

When I applied for my social security number back in 1973 or

Customer Question

When I applied for my social security number back in 1973 or 1974, my card was issued in the name I preferred to go by Julie instead of my real name Julia. Should I get my SS card reissued with the name Julia?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No I am just getting closer to retirement and I want to make sure everything is correct.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Yes, you need your SS name to coincide with your BC and your Drivers Licence (as well as any proof, if not BC, of legal status in the USA). If your DL does not coincide with your SS name, you can not prove that you are the SS person seeking her own benefits. If your SS card does not coincide with your BC, you can not prove you are old enough to file for your benefits or that you were born where your BC says - since you don't match the BC.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!