emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

My wife and I are retired and have received our S.S.

Customer Question

My wife and I are retired and have received our S.S. benefits for the past 13 years. Over the past five years, she has had to have surgery to remove both her legs. She is now house-bound and I am her Caregiver. Is she entitled to disability because of her condition? Ken Staresina
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: The wife has two artificial limbs, but is not very mobile...thus the wheelchair I bought.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 12 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

At full retirement age disability benefits are automatically converted to regular benefits. If she is already at full retirement age, than the answer is no, she cannot apply for SS disability benefits. To get disability benefits before full retirement age and after applying for SS benefits, the applicant must prove that the disability started before his/her application for benefits.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 12 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?