emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am divorced but was married for 12 years..Can I apply for

Customer Question

I am divorced but was married for 12 years..Can I apply for his SS?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am on SS disability and have been for years but was told I could draw my ex's benefits. I would like to apply.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you were married for at least 10 years and both of you are eligible for benefits (at 62), you can apply for spousal benefits based on ex-spouse's records. You will receive the higher of spousal or your own benefits. You can apply online here https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib , by calling social security directly at 1-***-***-**** or by visiting your local social security office.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I keep getting an error trying to fill out a new app for ex-spousal support
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

It looks like the website is down or not communicating. I am getting error messages too. I would try later or call earlier in the morning.