dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I havebeen retired for over 1 yr. i am anxious to start

Customer Question

i havebeen retired for over 1 yr. i am anxious to start receiving benefits from ss. i am 64 1/2 and my wife 61 1/2 should i start benefits at 65 or 66 and will my wife receive 1/2 of my benefits
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you apply for your benefits before your full retirement age, you will permanently reduce your benefits, which means you will received the reduced amount for the rest of your life.

Regarding your spouse, as soon as you apply she will be eligible for spousal benefits. But if she applies before her full retirement age she will too permanently reduce her own benefits but also spousal and widows benefits she may be eligible for now or in the future. Which means, if she applies for any type of benefits before 66, she will not get 50% of your benefits as spousal benefits. She will receive the highest benefits available to her, her own or spousal, but not both.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

Here's benefits calculator for her or your own benefits:

and here's calculator for spousal benefits:

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?