Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can I use my ck as soon as it gets to the bank? My ck gets

Customer Question

can I use my ck as soon as it gets to the bank? My ck gets to my bank 3 to 4 days early and they use it to invest in stocks and whatever,if I can't use my ck please don't send it to the bank early.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: not at this time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I believe that you are operating under a misunderstanding. Social Security does not utilize checks for the deposit of funds on your benefit payment date. Neither does social security make the electronic deposit to your account days in advance of the day you get access to your benefit. You bank is not using your money. If you receive your benefit payment, for example, on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, your direct deposit is not even sent to your bank until the Tuesday night before, or sometime during the next day so that you have access to it by the close of business on Wednesday.

You don't need to worry that the bank is using your social security benefit for several days before the bank makes it available to you. That is not what happens with the social security direct deposit process.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was checking my online cking acccount and the money was posted to my account so I called the bank to ck on it and wanted to draw out some money and was told I couldn't get it till the 12th which is the 2nd wed. of the month.It was posted on the 7th of oct.Now why should they have it and I can't.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

They should not have the money ahead of time.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

A different Professional here.

What check are you referring to?

Kindly clarify.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My S.S.I. ck that I get every month

Thank you for the information.

Regrettably, your checks are not deposited that far ahead of time. The checks in the form of direct deposit are made to your account in the early morning of the due dates. However, if the due date falls on a weekend, the deposits are usually made on a Friday. Nevertheless, the bank CANNOT hold your deposit for several days after the deposits are made because the deposits are considered available funds on the date of the deposits. So, I am not sure what is going on there. If holds are being put on the deposits, you need to go to your local branch and speak to the branch manager about the immediate availability of the funds upon deposit. If the issue is not resolved, you need to file complaint against the bank with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau because of this unfair and illegal practice because the deposits should not have any hold on them. You should also report the bank to your local office of Social Security Administration. Finally, you may consider opening a new account with a different bank and complete a new direct deposit form to have the benefits deposits go there.