LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Why did I get a check today for $54.? I receive retirement

Customer Question

Why did I get a check today for $54.?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I receive retirement benefits on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Per my bank, I received a direct deposit today for $54. and I do not know why.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 13 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This is happening to thousands of social security recipients this month. You don't need to worry, that was NOT your normal monthly payment and you will get your payment as usual.

Because you normally get your deposit on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, when social security makes a deposit in the first few days of the month to the same account it is typically because a review of your file has found that Social Security has made an error and they are correcting that past error with a lump sum payment.

It may well be---if you are still working---that because you are still working that you are still earning income which ends up being in the top 35 years of your work history and that will result in an increase in your benefits each year. This latest deposit was likely just that. If so you will expect to see a small increase in your benefit payment the next time they make a deposit--later this month. If you don't get a small increasing later this month, then the deposit was likely just a correction of a past error.

If you did not work last year, then the deposit was simply a correction to your benefits based on a social security review of your entitlement.

Either way, your normal payment will still be deposited in the 3rd Wednesday of this month.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you . I do not usually panic when I RECEIVE money, but I was wondering why. Thank you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. Unfortunately, your gratitude alone is not sufficient for me to be compensated for my having assisted you.

Please understand that in order for me to be credited, and paid, for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---preferably 5-stars. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,