dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Does SS send notices when a raise in payment is given. I

Customer Question

Does SS send notices when a raise in payment is given. I received a payment of $81.00 on 9/5/16. but never received notification by mail
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am worried that someone got my iformation
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

No they normally do not, (if you are already receiving benefits and you become eligible for an additional benefit or increase), say, because of some event, such as the passing of a spouse which typically raises your benefit if the deceased spouse was receiving a higher benefit.

...

This is basaed on my experience with clients over the years, where we looked to see why benefits changed, after the client says they received no notice.

...

I WILL tell you however, that Social Security CLAIMS to send notice whenever benefits change.

...

See this reply from a question from a worker about continnuing to work:

...

Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialiston December 14, 2015 at 11:51 am said:

...

Hello Mr. Johnson, the benefit amount that you’re receiving, is based on the amount of your average lifetime earnings. Under current law, we used the highest 35 years of earnings to compute an individual’s benefit amount. Each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase monthly benefits. If an increase is due, a new monthly benefit amount is established on your record automatically.

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me a little more about your situsation. Were you expecting this increase? Has something changed in your situation?