Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife and I are 81-years old and both receive SS benefits.

Customer Question

My wife and I are 81-years old and both receive SS benefits. My wife receives SS based on her deceased husband's SS account. Her husband died 19-years ago.
Our new marriage occurred one-year ago.
We are both 81-years old and both receive SS benefits.
QUESTION:
What happens upon the death of either of us?
And, what happens depending of which spouse dies first?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi ... I can help you with this.

...

What happens in the event of either of your death (not unlike when ANYone becomes eligible for a new benefit) ... IF the survivor benefit would be higher than the benefit that survivor is receiving, their benefit will be raised TO that higher benefit.

...

This happens when someone becomes eligible for ANY new benefit, (survivor, spousal, dependent, etc.)

...

It IS, however, important to understand that benefits cannot be stacked. That is, one cannot ADD a survivor benefit to a benefit already being received. What Social Security does is raise the benefit TO the higher benefit, if the new benefit would BE higher, by paying a combination of the existing benefit and the new benefit.

...

Finally, Social Security benefits are NEVER lowered by an event (unless someone receiving a disability based benefit becomes able to work again OR is a minor receiving a dependent benefit becomes the age of majority).

...

Said differently, your benefit (this holds true for both of you) will either stay the same or go up.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But again, let me know if you need more on this.

Lane