Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am now receiving ss disability benefits, but turn 65 next

Customer Question

I am now receiving ss disability benefits, but turn 65 next year. Do I switch to regular SS benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I worked very little during my employment years, but have been receiving SSI benefits. Do I have to drop these benefits and apply for SS when I turn 65?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: not that I am aware
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi ... My name's Lane ... I can help you with this.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986…

Please bear with me for a moment, while I prepare your response.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

First, when receiving SSDI benefits it's important to know that the benefits do convert.

...

(from Social Security Disability benefits to Social Security Retirement once you reach retirement age. Nothing will change).

...

You'll continue to receive a monthly check and you do not need to do anything in order to receive your benefits.

...

Social Security will simply change your disability benefit to a retirement benefit once you have reached full retirement age. When you reach that age, however, can vary depending on your birth year.

...

Anyone born after 1937 does not reach full retirement age at exactly 65.

..

Here's the table for when someone reaches Furr Retirement Age (yours is likely 66)

...

The following outline will help you understand at what age your SSDI benefits will convert to retirement benefits:

• 1938 – 65 years and 2 months
  • 1939 – 65 years and 4 months
  • 1940 – 65 years and 6 months
  • 1941 – 65 years and 8 months
  • 1942 – 65 years and 10 months
  • 1943 through 1954 – 66 years
  • 1955 – 66 years and 2 months
  • 1956 – 66 years and 4 months
  • 1957 – 66 years and 6 months
  • 1958 – 66 years and 8 months
  • 1959 – 66 years and 10 months
  • 1960 and later – 67 years
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

SO again, nothing changes ... you'll just see some different numbers in the legend of your check (not the amount, but the numbers showing that you're now being paid from a different SSA fund)

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane