LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

65+yrs, female, on medicare A, and AARP UHC already; I want

Customer Question

65+yrs, female, on medicare A,B and AARP UHC already; I want to start collecting Social Security as of Jan 2017, the year of 67yrs
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: When do I enroll?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: do you need SS#?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 days ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How can I assist you today? What is it that you need to know? Your question isn't entirely clear to me.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would like to know the time in which I can apply for Social Security to start in January 2017
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How and when do I apply for Social Security benefits to begin January 2017??
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
R you still online or not?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 days ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for the clarification. I understand now.

As you may not be aware, social security benefits are paid one month in arrears---meaning that if you want to receive a retirement benefit paid in the month of January 2017, you must begin your benefits in December.

Either way though, if you absolutely must have a payment in January, or you can wait to February, you can still apply right now for your benefits.

Social security will allow you to apply for your retirement benefits 3 full months in advance.

The easiest way to apply for your social security benefit is to just apply on line. Here is a link to the site to get you started. You can apply online for your Social Security Retirement Benefit or a Spouse Benefit at this site:

In the application you just tell social security what month you want your benefit to start and they will do that for you in advance so it is all set for 2017.

If for some reason you don't want to apply online, you can go to your local social security office and apply, or you can apply over the phone by calling during the week at 1-***-***-****.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 days ago.

Goo morning,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,