Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent

We filed for disability in Dec of 2015 my husband had 5

Customer Question

We filed for disability in Dec of 2015 my husband had 5 bypasses in March 2016 after having 2 angioplasty surgeries in August 2016 and Jan 2016 - SS is not paying us at all we keep getting pushed from office to office - what can we do - it is almost 1 year of this back and forth with ss
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: the 1st angioplasty was 2015 August
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 19 days ago.

Dear Customer,

The social security disability insurance is similar to long-term disability. It also requires complete disability and unable to work or extremely limited ability to work. Therefore, the applicant needs to be totally disabled, unable to work due to the medical condition for more than one year before the person can be considered as qualified.

You and I cannot decide for the SSA on what is the qualified medical condition and the evaluation of work ability. Social security considers both wage income and self-employment income.

The social security disability income is also offset possibly by other types of disability income. This is just a side note which may not apply to your situation.

It is suggested that you retain an attorney to help you. It is common in the field of social security disability to retain attorneys to help. The SSA will pay to the attorney directly from the payment when the case is approved. The attorney has no lien on the future payment, and possibly cannot charge more than 6,000 for a case.

You probably need to consult with several attorneys even eventually you decide not to retain any and continue to apply on your own.

Be patient; you are dealing with bureaucracy, but there is rule and regulations. You can also apply for hearing before the administration judge if your application is denied.

The website link below is for your further reference.

Please feel free to follow up.

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP