Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Can I draw widdows benifits in addition to my own benifits?

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane . I can help you with this.

...

Although benefits cannot be "stacked," as Social Security puts it. If your survivor benefit (100% of husbands benefit, as opposed to the spousal benefit that can be taken while he is alive (50% of his benefit) is higher than the benefit you currently receive, Social Security WILL take the benefit UP TO the higher amount.

...

So, although this is not "in addition to," (but rather a combination of your and his benefit that increases your benefit up TO that higher amount), if 100% of what he was receiving, is more than your current benefit, YES, you should apply for the SURVIVOR's benefit.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986