LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I need to change the bank account number for my directed

Customer Question

I need to change the bank account number for my directed deposit
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My previous checking account number at Chase was(###) ###-#### My new account number is###-##-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Thex branch office I use is in Bainbridge Island, WA
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I wanted to let you know that I am reviewing your question right now. Please give me a few minutes to either ask clarifying questions of you, or 10 to 15 minutes to prepare an answer and get it posted to you. Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

If you already are receiving benefits, you can create a My Social Security Online Account and start or change Direct Deposit online. If you don’t already have an account, you can easily create one. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit, change bank accounts and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site: http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Do not close your old account until the first payment has been deposited by social security into your new account. If you close the old account too quickly, you could miss a monthly benefit payment that could take 4 to 6 weeks to get back from social security,

Alternatively, if you are already receiving Social Security and or Supplemental Security Income benefits through direct deposit, then you may change the account the deposit is posted to by calling 1 (800) SSA-1213(1-***-***-****). The representative will be able to assist you in getting the change made to your account.

Finally, you may also visit your local social security office and make the change.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug