LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I want to know how much I am going to owe Social security

Customer Question

I want to know how much I am going to owe Social security because I made to much money this year and won't be 66 until December
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I actually ended up working until 2/14/16 and went back to work as a relief supervisor 6/6/16 I have made about $35000 so far this year. I am paying extra Federal taxes and hope I can use the refund to pay my Social Security
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I have received money for back retirement from the VA $8000 and I received $29000 minus $12000 for taxes from the State of TN for vacation and comp time. I do not know if taxes were taken out of the back retirement from the VA. It was not yet on their web site.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

We need to first start with the social security rule as regards ***** ***** for people receiving early social security retirement benefits. In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

You have earned $35,000 in wages through work this year to date.

Money received from retirement is considered passive income and is not used by social security in determining the $41,880 limit. SO your VA retirement benefit is not counted.

If you sold vacation time back to the state and that vacation time was not earned in 2016, then that money would not be counted as earned income either. The same would apply for comp time sold back to the state. To the extent that the comp time was earned before January 1, 2016, it would not be counted as earned income to you in the determination of whether or not you exceeded the $41,880 limit.

So, unless some of the comp time you sold, or the vacation time you sold was earned through work you did for the state in 2016, then that money would not count either.

So, if you only earned income is the $35,000 so far, if you don't earn more than $6,880 between now and November 30 of this year then you wouldn't have to pay back any money to social security.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 16 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?