Rick Martin
Rick Martin, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA
95409509

After divorce can I draw off husband ss, i am 66 was drawing

Customer Question

after divorce can I draw off husband ss
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i am 66 was drawing disabity now it is changed to retirement need to know if retirmemt is differ from drawing ss
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i am single need to know if i need to file on former husband to see if i would draw more
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rick Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm happy to answer your question. I kindly ask that you give me a good rating afterward if you are pleased with my service.

How long were you married?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
27 years

Yes you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) as long as:

• you are unmarried;
  • you are age 62 or older;
  • your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
  • the benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

There are a few other considerations:

1. Your benefit equals one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. The benefits do not include any delayed retirement credits your ex-spouse may receive.

2. If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

3. If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

4. If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

Thank you for this opportunity to serve you, and thank you in advance for your rating. I strive to maintain my 5 star rating. I will remain online in case you have any follow on questions. -Rick